Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Marketing Madness


So, maybe I'm confused, but I thought the point of catalogs was to entice. They're supposed to make people lust after what's pictured on the pages inside, right?

When Anthro catalogs come, I usually want to go run off to an exotic locale, too.

But, for the life of me, I can't figure out why NeedSupply.com even bothered with this mailer. The images are dark or blurry or both. See that pic right there to the left? Can you make out anything except for the plaid shirt? Me neither, yet apparently four different things are for sale.

In some pictures, the models are scrunched over, so you can't even see what they're wearing. This doesn't make me want to buy — it makes me squint. And that causes crow's feet, which I most definitely don't want. Any catalog that gives me wrinkles makes me bitter, not a fan for life.

The website carries lots of hip clothing and accessories, which is actually very well photographed. But ya sure wouldn't know it from this catalog.

2 comments:

SunnyDay said...

You get the "we're so cool we don't even have to show you the clothes" vibe. Bad, bad marketing decision.

Lisa - respect the shoes said...

Ah, well, at least the models aren't in various modes of absolute nakedness while they try to sell you clothes they aren't wearing (ah, good times, A&F). ;o)